Thursday, March 7, 2013

Week 9 EOC: Letters of Permission

For the assignment today, we were asked to look up letters of permission and/or contracts for potential use.  I chose the following from a long list of potential candidates:

Letter of permission to use a song
Interview release form
Works-for-hire contract agreement
Website linking agreement

First, I chose the letter of permission to use a song as I may someday host a fashion show and will require music to theme my showcase.  Without the accompaniment of some tunes, the show would be lifeless to say the least, nor would it contain any pizazz that is required to give life to the showcase.

Then I chose the interview release form.  Since we have to interview lawyers, I figured this would be handy for our upcoming final project. Even if it's verbal consent, at least I'm showing them that I have an idea of how litigation works and will fortify my posture of sounding more professional...(in theory of course).

The works-for-hire agreement/contract is something that I know I'll need in the future.  As it stands, I have already been commissioned to make goods before (custom handbags, clothing, etc.) so this will entitle me to credit for my work and will allow me to publish my intellectual designs, therefor protecting my craft.

Lastly, I chose the website linking agreement because there may be an opportunity for me to "piggy back" off of someones current website that has a lot of traffic.  The added bonus of being linked into more than one source only helps me get more exposure, so having this agreement will cement good working relationships with fellow designers and artists- providing a quid pro quo scenario that is beneficial to all parties involved.

The main objective of this exercise is to find ways to CYA so that the terms of any business transactions are well communicated and understood by all parties involved.  This serves to protect not only myself, but others so that the potential for misgivings or litigation are ultimately avoided.  

No comments:

Post a Comment